Connecting Businesses & People With Events
Coronation Hall is one of the principal buildings in Ulverston and has the largest capacity of any hall in the south Cumbria area.
It is owned, operated and maintained by South Lakeland District Council and offers excellent entertainment including performances by highly acclaimed touring companies in the fields of music, theatre, ballet and opera, as well as providing a lively community venue.
Over recent years this impressive building, affectionately called “The Coro”, has received substantial funding from South Lakeland District Council and the National Lottery for a programme of extensive refurbishment of the hall’s interior, including the dressing rooms, and exterior.
Coronation Hall stands on the site of the once famous County Hotel which was burned down in 1911. It was built to commemorate the coronation of King George V and completed during the First World War.
“..Coronation Hall was built as a result of there being a dire need in Ulverston for a place of entertainment. Until it was opened major events either had to be staged either in the Drill Hall in Victoria Road, the Temperance Hall in Queen Street (now the Glaxo Club), the Victoria Concert Hall in Mill Street (opposite the town mill) or the Assembly Rooms in Theatre Street (the ground floor of this building remains and is still in use as an auction room for sales). All these venues were becoming rather inadequate for the period and something bigger and more in keeping with the age was needed. The Coronation Hall filled the bill. Happily it still admirably does so today and, with its centenary not that far distant, it must be a tribute to its original designer. The foundation stone was laid in 1914 and a short time later a new Crown Post Office was built next door between Coronation Hall and Cross Street.”.
The original building costs were £8,513.00. The Foundation stone was laid in 1914 and can still be seen in the entrance hall bearing the inscription:
“This stone of the hall built to commemorate the Coronation of His Majesty King George V was laid on June 3rd 1914 by Myles Kennedy of Stone Cross Ulverston“.
The official opening took place in 1920, and took the form of a masque ball - view the invitation.
Ulverston Urban District Council took over the running of the Coronation Hall until 1974 when it was transferred to South Lakeland District Council.
In 1990 Ulverston Town Council awarded their Merit Award to the Coro “to recognise and encourage improvements and developments which contribute in a positive way to environmental and building quality, within the Ulverton town boundary.” A decorative plaque was awarded and can be seen in the entrance hall.
In 1998 Councillor J Prosser was instrumental in having a brass plaque produced to commemorate the committee who were responsible for the original idea to build the Coronation Hall. The plaque still remains and can be seen in the foyer.
Browse Our WEBSITE
To See Our Events Please - Click Here
For Community Events – Click Here